Friday, October 7, 2011

The Cambodian Transportation Food Chain

As I have been completely dependent on others or my own two feet for my transportation during my time in Cambodia, I have learned a lot about the Transportation Food Chain here and found myself a part of each level.


                                 
At the top of the food chain are cars, trucks, vans and buses. Jeeps come in especially handy during flooding situations



As with all levels of the food chain, your transportation must be able to haul various forms of livestock.
Even if you are driving the top of the food chain, you must be careful to yield to any living things in your path.

This is usually how you will find me when driving out to the provinces.
From my spot at the top of the transportation food chain, I am able to get beautiful pictures like this!
Next comes the moto...the most popular form of transportation in Cambodia. It is only below the cars and vans because of size. It is actually the easiest way to get around here.
Since I don't hire moto drivers to take me around, I haven't been on too many during my time here, but I have gone out a few times with trusted friends and a helmet!! (Even though helmets still aren't required for moto passengers!)
It is perfectly normal and acceptable to load your moto down with anything and everything that you can tie to the back of it and reload it when in falls off in the middle of an intersection!
Next comes my most common mode of transportation while I've been here...the Tuk-Tuk. While larger than the moto, it is significantly slower and less agile, so it falls on the rung below the moto.
Here is Hun, one of my faithful, trustworthy, English-speaking, Tuk-Tuk drivers! I am blessed to have two guys that are usually available when I need to go places on my own during the day.
As with every level, tuk-tuks can be used any way you can possibly think of.
Next comes your standard bicycle, but again, always thinking out of the box.
At the very bottom of the food chain, rarely utilized by your average Cambodian, is walking. I have found this to be the most dangerous of the all the forms of transportation, mainly because sidewalks are used as anything but walkways!! As you walk from point A to point B, you are acutely aware of your status on the bottom of the food chain as pedestrians are given no consideration.

If you had asked me prior to this trip if I would ever consider owning a motorcyle or motobike, I would have said "no way!...too dangerous". However, after my experiences with the Cambodian Transportation Food Chain, IF (just an if, mom, not a when) I were to be here for a longer period of time, I now think that I would definitely invest in the moto to get me around!! When you're in the city, it's hard to find a place to park a car and they are expensive if you are in Cambodia as a missionary. As displayed above, walking is not the safest way to get around, hiring tuk-tuks gets expensive, and riding a bike is not much safer than walking. So, a Moto would be the choice for me!!

Hope you've enjoyed your lesson on the Cambodian Transportation Food Chain!





No comments:

Post a Comment