Monday, October 17, 2011

"Living" in Cambodia

(I am now back in the States. My last two weeks in Cambodia were a lot busier than the first two weeks, so I was unable to take time to blog. The next several posts will be back posts from that time)

While my last post highlighted snapshots of my transportation modes, this post highlights snapshots from my everyday life while "living" (I use that term loosely) in Cambodia for four weeks.

I stayed with an Australian couple, Chris and Rhiannon Foster, and their very cute 4 month old son, Liam. They are missionaries working at New Life Church. The group that I volunteered with is the healthcare ministry of that church. It was so nice to have a room with "air-con" and a home cooked meal on the nights that I stayed in. Chris is a great cook! They made me feel a part of their family for four weeks. Thanks again, Fosters!!


Chris, Rhi and Baby Liam
My adorable back-seatmate for many a drive to and from home.

My room
A sleeping must for me in humid Cambodia, "Air-con"!


New Life Church has three healthcare ministries: Community Enabling Health, The Healing Home and Patient Care Ministry. I spent most of my time working with Donnie, a missionary from Canada, from Patient Care Ministry. He was preparing for a short term medical team that arrived the last week that I was there. The project that I worked on for the majority of my days in the office was sorting through, organizing, and inventorying the medications that would available for the doctors to use during the medical mission. 

Donnie, his wife, Sophea, and their children, Nan and Isaac.

New Life Fellowship
The office that I worked in
Sorting and Labeling Meds
Preparing the Inventory/Formulary for the MDs on the medical team

Finally, here are some snapshots of life around Phnom Penh. I wish that I had captured more things, but I found that being on my own, I took less pictures (762 pics in 4 weeks) than I normally did on my team trips (avg of over 1000 pics in just 2 weeks).


Glass factory on the street that I stayed on. They had a habit of breaking up the discarded glass into tiny pieces...
Old Phnom Penh

New Phnom Penh
Sunset from the house I stayed at
One of my favorite parts of Cambodia is all the exotic fruits. This is Dragonfruit.

Walmart of Phnom Penh?

Found that many of the western restaurants put a Cambodian spin on western food.

Geckos are all over the place in Cambodia. Many a time these friends would be scurrying around my bathroom in the morning.

Always something interesting for sale on the streets in Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh has developed exponentially since I first visited in 2007. There were no tall buildings then.

Got to spend time with a missionary from our church, Mades, and his family. This is his daughter, Allison. Sopheary was pregnant with her when I first met them.

No need to search around for reception sites in Cambodia. You just block off the street in front of your house!

Exercising along the Mekong River



No comments:

Post a Comment