Monday, November 21, 2011

So Much To Be Thankful For

It's Thanksgiving Week, and in these days I have so much to be thankful for!! I have continued to improve day by day, and I definitely credit my quick recovery to all of my amazing family and friends continual prayers for me. God has been so faithful to me, and I give him the glory for where I am now!

Here are some updated praises and prayer requests in the different areas of my life that have been affected by the vertebral artery dissection (tear) and stroke. I again apologize for the length, but God has been doing a lot of great things! Thank you again for all your prayers and support. They have meant the world to me during this time!

Headaches:
  • At the time of my last blog entry, I had started taking Aleve each night to see if that would help me not wake up with headaches each morning. That was definitely a great suggestion by my primary care doctor, and since starting that medication at night, I am no longer waking up with headaches!!
  • Thankfully, also, I am rarely having headaches at all any time of the day!
  • A few days after being headache free on the Aleve, I gradually moved from the recliner (which was helping my headaches too) into my bed with no increase in my headaches. I am now sleeping well in my bed every night!
  • I am now taking Aleve every other night and hope to wean off of it soon! Thankfully, I have not seen any adverse effects from being on a full Aspirin everyday and one Aleve at night, but I don't want to continue that for an extended period of time because that can cause problems.
Right Hand Dexterity/Strength:
  • Even before going to my hand PT appointment last Monday, I had seen a significant improvement in the dexterity and strength in my right hand. I take notes every Sunday at church and in just one week there was a significant visual improvement in my handwriting!! (I was able to write after the stroke, but it was harder to write and my handwriting was not my own.) It was so encouraging to have a visual example of the quick work the Lord was doing with my recovery.
  • When I went to my hand PT appointment, she evaluated me and determined that while my fine motor skills weren't perfect, my overall strength was were it should be and I would not need any further physical therapy for my hand!! She told me to take up a hobby that would exercise my fine motor skills, so my friend is going to teach me to crochet and let me borrow her crochet materials and some beading materials that she has!! 
  • I have noticed since meeting with her that when I am more tired or do too much with my right arm/hand that my right arm/hand gets more tired and feels fatigued easily. The hand PT said that I could follow-up with her if I needed to and so I plan to talk to her this week as well as my doctor. Please pray that this is normal and that I will figure out the best way to not overdo it while also exercising my hand appropriately.
Equilibrium:
  • The first big praise for my equilibrium issues is that I was able to get into physical therapy for this 5 days sooner than I had expected! I originally didn't have this appointment until today, but the office manager at the physical therapy office I am going to remembered that I had wanted to get in sooner and called me when they had a cancellation last Wednesday!!
  • As with my hand, I have noticed a spontaneous improvement in my equilibrium issues. From not being able to walk without help during the stroke, to being able to walk alone with the feeling of "motion sickness" when I was discharged from the hospital, when I went to PT for my equilibrium I was only feeling the "motion sickness" with specific head movements or trying to move around too fast while walking. 
  • The physical therapist evaluated me and does want to continue to see me once a week until I get closer to 100%. She sent me home with some daily exercises. 
  • Physical therapy for equilibrium is tricky because the exercises are not that straight forward and my improvement and how I am doing is subjective to how I describe that I am feeling. Since my symptoms are so slight, I have a hard time explaining them. Pray that I will be disciplined with doing the exercises even if I can't tell how they are helping and that I can communicate well with my physical therapist about how I am doing. 
Driving:
  • I was hoping to be cleared to drive last week after seeing the equilibrium physical therapist, and while she did feel that I am ready to drive, my primary care doctor doesn't want me driving until I see him tomorrow. I am hopeful that there won't be any reason why he can't clear me tomorrow.
  • In the mean time, I have been so blessed to have so many friends and coworkers that have gone out of their way to pick me up for appointments and just to get me out of the house. Thank you to everyone who has given me a ride and been on call for giving me rides!!
  • I will never cease to be amazed at how God uses every little detail in our lives to teach us and to prepare us for what is ahead of us (James 1:2-4). I went 4 weeks in Cambodia with not having as much to do as I am used to and also not having my own transportation, and I knew while I was there that He was teaching me something, I just didn't realize that "something" would happen so soon! 
Overall Energy Level:
  • While I have definitely been feeling better day by day, I have noticed that my energy level and ability to "go" like I used to is not the same as it used to be. Unfortunately, as the headaches went away and my deficits were spontaneously improved, I think that I got the false sense that since those things were better that I must be almost back to my normal self. 
  • I am realizing that I can't do as much with my days as I am used to, and that is a struggle for me. The other evening I had to cancel going to a friend's birthday celebration, and for those that know me well, you know that is a very big deal to me. 
  • Again, this goes back to the lessons that God is teaching me about being still and not as busy. Please pray that I will be good about pacing myself and not pushing too hard, but also that my energy will increase day by day so that I will be back to "myself" as soon as God provides. 
Long Term Restrictions/Working:
  • Most of the above issues have to do with the minor stroke that I had, and they will hopefully be completely resolved quickly (I don't want to put a time on it, but at the rate things are going I would hope within the end of the year).
  • However, the vertebral artery dissection (tear) that clotted and caused the stroke will be healing over the next six months. As long as the headaches stay away and the aspirin does its job in preventing the tear from clotting again, I shouldn't have any physical issues with the tear as it heals, but I am under a strict lifting restriction while it heals (as well as a restriction on crazy sports like skiing and roller coasters and such). 
  • No matter how well I am doing otherwise, my neurosurgeon will not clear me to lift more than 10 lbs until May 1. This means that I will be on disability from my job at CHOP until then. Thankfully, I have disability pay and my manager is committed to bringing me back into a position as soon as she can in May. 
  • Over the last 3 weeks, I have been reminded of what I have always known. I am an extreme extrovert and need interaction with people for energy and general well-being. While it is nice to have a break from my job at the craziest time of year for us and take some time be a little quieter with life, I have realized that I am definitely going to have to find either consistent volunteer work or some type of part-time job (which would help with finances) once the holidays are over and I am back to myself energy wise. Please be praying that God will lead me to what he wants me to be doing with my time and finances while I am on disability.
Because God has ultimately provided for me through sending his Son, Jesus, to die the death that I should die, and to make a way for me, a sinner, to become a child of God, I know that he will provide for me during these days that he has formed for me.

"What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all—how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?" Romans 8:31-32

No comments:

Post a Comment